In 2009, UPMC celebrated both the reconstuction of the Zamansky tour and nine centuries of university activity on the site of the Saint Victor Abbey, renowned as a center of Western intellectual renaissance, with a famous library and a training center for clerics. This school, founded by Guillaume de Champeaux in 1109, played a major role in the intellectual effervescence of the Latin Quarter for several centuries.
Grammar, rhetoric, dialectics, music, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and even technology were all taught there. After the Revolution, the site was occupied by various warehouses, then the “halle aux vins” (the Paris wine market), before being reintegrated into the world of research as a part of the Faculty of Science of the University of Paris in 1959. Under André Malraux’s leadership, the decision on the Albert project and the tower was made in 1963. And nine hundred years later, UPMC continues the quest for knowledge of the highest order, in the heart of Paris.